Sometimes there is a small voice that is telling us that there is “something more” but we need some help to shine the light on it.
I have been married for many years and have 3 adult children. After finishing my undergraduate degree at the University of Texas, I worked in a rewarding (left brain) career in healthcare operations for 20 years, then took a (right brain) turn into the joyful and creative field of garden design and garden coaching. As owner of Sue’s Gardens, I encouraged and inspired people to find joy in gardening.
While I (still) love creating and playing in gardens and especially enjoy engaging with other like-minded gardeners, I realized there was “something more” for me, which led me to pursue graduate school in counseling.
I hold a master’s degree in counseling from St. Edward’s University in Austin. I am a Licensed Professional Counselor and am trained in EMDR. I am attachment focused and am trauma-informed.
When not working with clients, I enjoy working in my garden, hiking Austin’s hills with my husband, training in martial arts and other fitness activities, meditating and mindfulness activities. One of my favorite past times is reading books aloud together with my husband.
About Resilience Counseling
Where flowers bloom, so does hope.
The American Psychological Association defines resilience as, “the process of adapting well in the face of adversity, trauma, tragedy, threats or significant sources of stress – such as family and relationship problems, serious health problems or workplace and financial stressors.
My focus is collaborative and I bring a toolbox of skills and education to assist and support you with the challenges life brings to strengthen your inner resilience for you as an individual or within your relationship. I have a passion for assisting couples who have the desire to lean into courage and connection, so they can reap the rewards of deep intimacy, while building their resilience muscles.
- am trained in supporting partners who have suffered relational trauma from sexual acting out and infidelity. Association of Partners of Sex Addicts and Trauma Specialist (APSATS).
- am a member of Society for the Advancement of Sexual Health (SASH) and the Texas Counseling Association (TCA).
- am educated about women’s sexual health throughout the life span.
- provide support in understanding life’s experiences through a trauma lens and am trained in Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing ( EMDR).
- have trained in several evidenced-based therapies utilized with couples, including Gottman Therapy, Pychobiological Approach to Couple Therapy (PACT) and Relational Life Therapy(RLT).
- use a therapy called Internal Family Systems (IFS) to assist individuals in healing childhood wounds, leading to self-acceptance and greater well-being.
- I am comfortable working with non-traditional relationship styles.
- LGBTQ-friendly (have a keen interest in helping parents navigate their emotions while learning how to support and encourage a family member who is questioning their gender or sexual identity)